Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Southern Pride?


The other day my family was in Virginia, at Monticello, Thomas Jefferson’s home. It was great, Jefferson’s life and home was very interesting, but I was slightly distracted by something that happened while we were there.

There was a family there, with two kids, younger than me. They were wearing dog tags with the confederate flag on them. On the back it said “Loyal to C.S.A”. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing with these two young kids. My mom asked what the flag meant to them, to which they replied, “just southern pride”.  Now, I think that is a pretty horrible answer. 

Why would ANYONE have pride for something that horrible that happened 150 years ago! I don’t care if you are from the south, or are a descendent, we live in 21st century America, we are not southerners, or northerners, we are American.
Also, what possessed these parents to buy there ten year old boy, and eight year old girl (I asked their ages) Confederate dog tags? Even if you are still bitter about the “Northern Aggression”, why instill it in your children? Maybe I’m overreacting, (I’m not), but I’m going to try to look at this a little bit more critically.

I’m a California Yankee, maybe I’m just not used to the thought of people still being loyal confederates. Maybe I’m just unexposed….NOPE. The thought of that still sickens me. “One nation under God”, apparently some people don’t understand that line from the AMERICAN pledge of allegiance, NOT the northern pledge of allegiance.  

Please comment and let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, and I agree with you whole-heartedly!

    However, there is one other option...maybe they were just Dukes of Hazard fans (your mom will get it)

    ReplyDelete